Bates




 

The Dangers of Carbon Monoxide and what you can do to avoid them

UK gas safety watchdog CORGI is urging consumers not to cut back on essential servicing and maintenance of their gas appliances despite cost-of-living rises.

The reasoning behind their campaign hinges on the dangers of Carbon Monoxide; the silent, odourless killer that can creep through a home via a malfunctioning boiler or cooker. It can be the cause of serious illness or tragically on some occasions, death.

Carbon monoxide problems can be easily averted by ensuring appliances are safety checked on a regular basis. Having gas appliances serviced and maintained is the only way to guarantee that they are in full working order and any dangers are avoided. But this work must - without exception - be carried out by a CORGI registered engineer.

It is imperative that homeowners never allow anyone who is not CORGI registered to carry out work on their gas appliances. CORGI engineers are gas experts who have undergone extensive training to qualify for registration. They go to great lengths to make sure that all gas appliances are correctly installed, serviced and properly ventilated so that they are safe and function efficiently. Not only does this ensure safety, but also optimum energy efficiency.

Most of the work carried out by gas workers operating is said to be dangerously flawed. Homeowners should never scrimp on vitally important things like gas safety, even amidst the credit crunch when they are tightening their belts, because lives could be put at serious risk.

Make a note in your diary for the same date every year: boiler service and gas safety check by a CORGI registered engineer - check the id card - it could save lives.

Back to Main Plumbing and Heating News Page